Booking your SGR Train Ticket Online
Booking your SGR train ticket should be an easy and straight forward experience. You can do this online with ease. Some important things to note;
- You can book your SGR train tickets 2 Months in Advance
- There are 2 SGR train services available, Express Train and Inter-county Train see the SGR train schedule
- Only Mpesa Payments are Available when booking SGR train tickets online
- The link to Madaraka Express Website https://metickets.krc.co.ke/
If you are booking your SGR train tickets as part of an SGR Holiday package, we can book the tickets for your at no extra cost.
Tickets for travel on the Madaraka Express Passenger Service can be purchased as outlined below:
- Online: using the https//metickets.krc.co.ke platform
- In person: Over the counter at the nearest Madaraka Express Passenger Service
- By phone. Utilizing the USSD Payment Solution by dialing *639# on your Safaricom line and following the steps as prompted
Go online and and book on the SGR website
This is by far the best way and the easiest way to make an SGR train booking. Go to https://metickets.krc.co.ke/ and make the booking. Below is a a step by step guide on how to make the booking the SGR train booking.
Lets jump into the SGR booking process, step by step
- Go to https://metickets.krc.co.ke
- Key in the train you want to board (Express or Inter-county)
- Select where you are traveling from and your preferred destination.
- Enter your preferred date of travel and click on search to check on availability of seats.
- Once availability is confirmed, select the number of people traveling (adults, children)
- The system will automatically calculate the amount of money to pay
- Proceed and confirm the booking (You will be redirected to another site)
- The following details of the people traveling will be required.
*Full Names, ID Number, Gender and Nationality for Adults
*Full Names, Date of Birth, Gender and Nationality for Children
*Mobile Number to facilitate payment (Ensure your Mpesa Account has enough funds to make the payment)
- After all the details have been filled, there are two options; Pay now or pay later
- Click on the preferred payment option and wait for the system to generate a link for payment (Link is sent to the Mobile number used to facilitate payment)
- The site while give you payment details; account number, reference and amount)
- When the payment is complete, click on paid to complete payment
- Ticket details will be sent to the Mobile number and will also appear on the page (The reference and the Mobile number will be used at the terminus to print out the tickets before boarding the train)
You can also have your booking facilitated by The Holiday Dealers and provide the booking credentials.
Use the USSD code book your SGR train tickets
This is an alternative way to book a SGR Train ticket. Load up mpesa on your phone. Dial *639# on your handset and follow the step by step guide. You can buy 5 tickets at a time. You will need to be fast to avoid the timeouts.
Getting the SGR train online booking ticket
SGR Tickets are printed at the Train Station(s), be at the Station early enough, by 7am (it’s also possible to print your SGR Tickets before the Travel Date at the SGR Train Station)
When printing the SGR Tickets, you will be required to input the Phone Number used and the e-Ticket Number
Please carry your original ID Card during your SGR Travel
SGR train ticket rules, cancellation and refund process
Customers on the service are encouraged to observe the ‘Terms and Conditions’ for ticket purchases and general operations as below:
- SGR train Passengers are encouraged to get to the train station not later than 60 minutes before departure for an easy check-in and boarding experience. Passengers are also requested to note that the final call for boarding the train is made 11 minutes to departure time and the gates to the platform close 10 minutes before departure time.
- Passengers are advised to have original identification documents when booking over the counter and during the journey. Where one has lost or misplaced the National Identity Card, a Passport, Driving license, National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) card or a Police Abstract and Waiting Card may be used.
- Selling of SGR train tickets for travel on the Mombasa to Nairobi section stops 30 minutes before departure; and for the Nairobi to Suswa section, stops 10 minutes before departure
- The booking office opens at 6:30 am and closes at 8:30 pm. To book a ticket via 0709 388888 one should call between 8:30 am and 8:30 pm.
- To make an enquiry, please contact SGR train Station on 0709 388887
Important things to note when buying of SGR train tickets at the train stations
- Pay attention to the display screen at the ticket windows
- Prepare ticket fee in advance for quick service
- Tell the Attendant your travel date, preferred train (whether it is the Express or the Inter-County), departure station, destination station, preferred class,
- Check the ticket information to confirm all the captured details are correct and alert the attendant incase of any errors
- Confirm you have been given the correct balance after purchasing the ticket
SGR Train Ticket Booking Child Policy
- The Railway station will not accept any children below 13 years who are traveling alone
- Children between 3-11 years traveling with adults will pay half fare
- Children over 11 years old must pay the full ticket price
- Children aged 3 years and below are not required to have a ticket. The operator assumes that they can seat with an accompanying adult.
- Cases where a passenger is traveling with twins, triplets or quadruplets, only one child shall pay half fare. The rest shall pay the full fare.
Lost SGR Train Ticket what to do
- In cases where a passenger looses his/her ticket, he/she will be required to buy another ticket in order to travel.
- If a passenger looses his/her ticket while in transit, the passenger will be expected to buy another ticket at the destination station in order to exit the station,
SGR ticket Cancellation and Refunds
Cases where a passenger desires to change his/her travel, the following rescheduling and refund procedure shall be observed
- Cancelling a ticket for individual travel should be done forty eight (48) hours to departure time
- Cancelling a ticket for group travel should be done seventy two (72) hours to departure time
- In order to cancel a ticket, one must provide the original identification documents
- Refunds shall be subject to a 30% fee of the ticket fee
- Requests for a refund will be rejected in cases where the tickets are damaged (unrecognizable)
SGR Ticket Rescheduling
- Tickets for individual travel can be rescheduled at least forty eight (48) hours to the departure time
- Tickets for group travel can be rescheduled at least seventy two (72) hours to the departure time.
- Rescheduling of tickets is done using the details provided during the initial booking instance i.e same class, same service, same person.
- A ticket can only be rescheduled once i.e one time
- Rescheduling a ticket will attract a 10% fee of the ticket cost
Pets Policy on the SGR train
In consideration of the safety of other passengers, Management notes that:
- Pets are likely to carry the virus and bacteria, which might be harmful to other passengers;
- Some pets are likely to be offensive to the passengers;
- Odour and excreta of pets may pollute the environment in the train and cause discomfort of other travelers.
For this reasons, the management prohibits bringing pets onboard the train. Exceptions can be made for military dogs, raid dogs, search and rescue dogs and/or guide dogs. For these cases, the Passengers who request to bring military dogs, raid dogs, search and rescue dogs and/or guide dogs need to:
- Inform the management in advance
- Provide the relevant documentation including proof of vaccination.
The dogs should also be on a leash upon entering the train station and have a mouth-set. The passenger should also provide a cage for temporarily holding the dog during the course of the journey.